Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Avatar

This Saturday we went and saw James Cameron's Avatar 3D. Neither of us were really wanting to see it but we definitely wanted to check out what all the hype was about.

Overall, the glasses were fun and the movie wasn't as long as I thought it would be. I didn't hate it but I didn't LOVE it either. The cinematography was neat. If you go to see this movie, you might-as-well see it in 3D. Watching it in 3D was pretty cool, especially since it takes place on an alien planet that is covered in luscious forest and interesting plant-life.

The tribe/inhabitants, that this story centers around, worship a nature deity named Eyma. They talked about praying, worshipping and keeping harmony with Eyma and her surroundings. There were even a few clips were the whole tribe sat 'Indian-style' on the ground, moving together in unison, praying to Eyma. Watching this made me laugh. I actually, in a semi-serious scene of the movie, looked at Bergstrom and chuckled. James Cameron, who is an open agnostic, made a movie about a very religious group of people. Come on, I HAD to laugh.

I found it humorous, in a shocked kind of way, that the most popular movie right now has a very spiritual core at the base of its story. And I laughed to myself that so many people that watch Avatar probably think I'm crazy for talking to God, reading the Bible and giving 10% of all my money to a church, YET it was just fine that the Na'vi respected Eyma and thought she could help them in time of need.

Just something I thought about.

No comments:

Post a Comment