Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Shopping Schmopping

My birthday is approaching and I thought it would be festive if I bought a new outfit.  Let's just call it a 'birthday suit.'  HAHA...just kidding.  So after work, I went to Macy's at the Galleria.  I had a giftcard from Christmas and figured, there's got to be SOMETHING in that big store to make me feel pretty.  (What women doesn't want to feel pretty, particularly on her bday.?) 

When I walk through the door I go straight to where I've been trained to go...the clearance racks.  This training definitly came from my mother.  She is the Queen of Sales.  Give her $50 and she'll find you two outfits, earrings to match and slap down a 25% off the entire purchase coupon.  She. Is. Amazing.  It's actually a running joke with my girlfriends.  They stopped asking me, "Where did you get that?" and now just say, "Your mom bought you that, didn't she?"  So...

There I am, searching racks and racks of clothes.  No one's in the store because it's a 5:30 on a Tuesday.  I'm searching, searching, looking, browsing...nothing...are you kidding me?....searching, looking...OH!  CUTE!  Not my size....(sigh)  Women of the blog world, are you feeling me?  I went to every section of the store, including juniors, including petites.  I was starting to get bummed out.  Is my style THAT out of sync with the modern world's?  Everything seemed too old or too young, and I'm neither. 

Then it hit me.  I'm now in my late 20s and approaching what I like to call the 'middle man territory.'  Old is too matronly and young is too trendy.  Holy moly this is weird.  All I wanted to do was buy an outfit, not start my mid-life crisis 20 year too early.

Well, and HOUR AND A HALF later, all in one store mind you, I found a dress.  It's a Jones New York dress and it's lovely.  I feel very pretty in it.  Mission Accomplished.  I haven't decided if I'll wear it on my birthday or for my birthday dinner with the family.  But either way, you'll have to wait.

Oh, by the way, Mom, I got it 40% off!

2 comments:

  1. I have this problem in any mall. Teenage stores and lady stores. Where are the mid-20s-want-to-look-my-age stores?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't even get me started on trying to find work appropriate clothes!

    We are definitely caught between too young and "holy cow, when did my pants' waistline get up there!"

    ReplyDelete