Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Cave

For the three that faithfully look at my blog to see if I've updated: my sincere apologies. Where have I been you may ask? Well, if you were at ask Hannah, she would reply, "The bear is in her cave."

We opened our 44th season with the production of Driving Miss Daisy. And because I haven't crewed/assistant stage managed a show is 5 years, I thought I'd give it a go. I'm ASMing the show with the 'dear heart' Hannah. (Whom I have lovely nicknamed 'Moe' after the Wall-E character.) There's not much to my job except make the sounds/music happen.


Basically, I do three things 1)set up the sound cue correctly 2)repeat "Standby sound cue ___" to Hannah and 3)make sure I keep Hannah entertained with snarky comments. I don't really watch the show but because it is DRIVING Miss Daisy, I do have a handful of 'turning the car on' sound cues.

So far, so good. I don't mind being in the booth. I think it's a nice change that most actors should take if they can. Heck, I get to wear my favorite color all the time. HA! I have true respect for stage managers. They are the super heroes of theatre! Hands down. Let's just hope that I'll get off my butt and walk between work and the show. That's one of the reasons I volunteered to do this: to get some workouts in. Oh, well. It's only week one. Five more to go!


1 comment:

  1. I think you might be leaving out one other particular reason why you volunteered to do this ... and I don't blame you for not saying anything.

    It's the free chicken wings from opening night, right?

    ReplyDelete