Saturday, February 20, 2010

God's speaking

As I sit here in my pink and white polka-dot pj's in a quite apartment on a Saturday night, I'm thinking about how God spoke to me tonight. With Jason gone, the only thing I really can or want to do is take a lot of baths. (By the way, in honor of the Olympics, I'd receive a gold medal in bath taking. I'm a pro!)

Any ways, I thought at first, I'd drag the laptop into the bathroom to watch a movie or Hulu.com; however, that plan was nix-ed because where I usually set the laptop, aka, the toilet, our trash can was there to catch the leak that is right above the commode. (Glamorous, I know!) So, the laptop was out. I had already read my new Real Simple Magazine. The only thing left was a book.

If you will humor me.....I'm not a big fan of reading. Don't get me wrong. Reading is awesome. I think libraries and coffee shops are the coolest places on Earth, but, this chica does not really read. Like I said in my very first blog, I like the IDEA of reading, but not the act of it. Now, back to my story.....

I picked up Donald Miller's Blue Like Jazz. Bergstrom had this book and I read the first chapter about two months ago. It was lying next to my bed and looked a little lonely, so into the bathroom it went and BAM! God spoke! You see for awhile, I've been throwing around the realization that I've been working at the same place for almost five years. I'm starting to feel the 'four year itch.' Its the itch you get in school. Notice how you're at a school for an average of 4-5 years at a time. I think that length is there for a reason. After that fifth year, you start to get restless, feel the 'itch' for something new. I'm feeling that with work and I don't know what to make of it. I don't think He's having me move on, but who's to say He's not...

The main thing God showed me was through something Donald Miller said on page 13:

"I believe that the greatest trick of the devil is not to get us into some sort of evil but rather have us wasting time. This is why the devil tries so hard to get Christians to be religious. If he can sink a man's mind into habit, he will prevent his heart from engaging God."

Oh, Lord, whatever I do, wherever you take me, please help me to never waste time in this world for You. I will say 'yes' to You. No matter if it means pouring my heart out on the Internet through a blog. - Living the Examined Life

No comments:

Post a Comment