Friday, February 5, 2010

Love-Hate Relationship

I decided to take off yesterday and today, and let me tell you, it was a MUCH NEEDED stay-cation. There have been times were I've gone a whole week without taking a day off, so catching up on sleep was a MUST; however....

I have a love-hate relationship with sleeping in. When that alarm is not set, watch out world, I'm never getting up. I love sleep. I love it with a passion. I look forward every night to going to bed. (sigh) Its awesome, but its not always fun the next morning. I had a huge headache all day long and nothing was stopping it.

My first thought when this happens is that its a caffeine headache. We've all gotten them and they don't seem to go away easily. But I learned something recently about sleeping and headaches that I'd thought I'd share:

WebMD states, "For some people prone to headaches, sleeping longer than usual on a weekend or vacation can cause head pain. Researchers believe this is due to the effect oversleeping has on certain neurotransmitters in the brain, including serotonin."

Interesting, huh? Headaches are caused by serotonin and sleeping releases serotonin. So I guess, its not just the lack of caffeine.

No comments:

Post a Comment